SSL is the cryptographic protocol created specifically to keep communications over the Internet secure. Lately, more and more website administrators have replaced the http protocol with https to obtain a series of advantages:
- Encryption of information – to block the interception of sensitive information entered on a website, such as user, passwords, personal data or bank details.
- Authenticity – it is important for a user to know that the website used is a reliable one and is not a fake one created for phishing / scam. Thus, there are 3 types of certificates: Domain Validation (DV), Organization Validation (OV) and Extended Validation (EV).
- SEO and Google Rank Boost – Starting in August 2014, Google emphasizes the use of the https protocol and offers a better ranking to websites that are ssl certified, often displaying them before those without a certificate. Also Bing, Yahoo and Yandex take into account the SSL certificate for display with priority in searches.
- Security indicator – all DV, OV and EV certificates have a secure connection icon (a green padlock) in the browser bar. Moreover, websites with EV certificates (which offer maximum security) are displayed with the well-known ‘green bar’.
- Professionalism and attracting buyers – Your customers and business partners will appreciate more a website that displays trust through an ssl certificate especially by using an OV or EV certificate. Studies have also shown that using a certificate leads to a 20% increase in sales by completing shopping carts that would otherwise be abandoned – because without https customers become insecure about the reputation of the website where they want to make purchases.